Hosted annually by Lewis College of Human Sciences, Undergraduate Research Day showcases research projects, internship experiences, creative projects, and senior capstones from students in humanities, psychology and social sciences departments.
Third Annual Undergraduate Research Day
Friday, April 27, 2018
11 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Hermann Hall Expo
Schedule of Events
Poster Presentations: 11 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
Lunch and Awards Ceremony: 12:45-1:30 p.m.
Participating in Research Day
All Lewis College students are highly encouraged to participate in research day. Students can submit abstracts independently or part of a research group. Abstracts are due Thursday, April 19, 2018.
Submit your abstract here (You will need to be signed in to your Illinois Tech Google account to complete the form). Abstracts must be 250 words or less.
Posters must be sized correctly—either 24" x 36" or 36" x 48"—and emailed to Prof. Legate in order to be printed at the MTCC post office. Your poster file must be a PDF (not PowerPoint, Word, or any other format) and submitted no later than Thursday, April 26 or else you will be responsible for printing your own posters.
New this year, all presenters are encouraged to submit videos about their research along with their abstracts. These videos will be posted on the Lewis College of Human Sciences and departmental web sites.
Videos can be formatted in several ways, including (but not limited to):
- Describing the content of your poster while standing in front of it
- Displaying slides while narrating them
- Conveying information about your project to the camera without any visual aids
Students should consider answering the following questions in their videos:
- What is the underlying issue, problem, or concern that your research, internship, or project addresses?
- What methodological approach did you employ and why?
- What are 1-2 challenges that you faced when engaging in this project?
- Were there any unexpected findings or outcomes from your project?
- What is the most significant contribution of your project?
- What sparked your interest in this topic?
- Videos should be approximately 2-3 minutes in length.
- Presenters should dress professionally; i.e. as you would dress on Research Day itself.
- If using a cell phone to record the video, footage should be shot horizontally.
- There are no limits to the number of presenters in the video if the project has multiple authors.
- Do not use any copyrighted materials without giving proper credit.
- Complete a media release form when you submit your video (You will need to be signed in to your Illinois Tech Google account to complete the form).
- Be creative and have fun!
All videos will be reviewed by a panel of judges prior to Research Day and an award will be given to the best video at the event.
Video submissions are due Thursday, April 19, 2018. Videos can be submitted here with your abstract.
Students should contact the research day faculty advisor in their departments with any abstract questions.
- Humanities: Professor Elisabeth Hildt
- Psychology: Assistant Professor Nikki Legate
- Social Sciences: Associate Professor Matt Shapiro
Questions concerning research videos (formatting, use of logos and images, etc.) can be directed to Stephanie Healey.